All Saint's Heritage Centre
All Saint’s Heritage Centre is one of the jewels in the crown in Clonbur. To see the building today, it is hard to believe that just a few short years ago the roof was gone and all the glass broken.
All Saint’s Church of Ireland was built in the 1840’s by Lady Leitrim who also built the Crane House and Clonbur House in the village.
Unfortunately, the church fell into disrepair having lost all its roof, slates and glass but in the mid 1990’s the local community initiated contact with the Church of Ireland bishop to see about taking over ownership of the church and thus refurbishing it. From beginning to end, the whole process took the best part of 20 years to get the building to what it is today and great credit must be given to all those in the community who gave so much of their time and energy to the project for so many years – without them we wouldn’t have this beautiful building today.
To date, there have been a number of civil marriages, regular concerts as well as charity events held in All Saint’s.
Clonbur was chosen as the site to represent Connaught in the national Biodiversity Bio-Blitz 2014 and a number of events took place in All Saint’s.
Our 2013 Gathering festival was centred on All Saint’s where we had an exhibition of local art work and a local history and photograph display.
It is planned that when we are granted Geopark status, All Saint’s will be the base for the park.
It is envisioned that it will be a starting point for finding information for themed drives, walks and cycles.
It will also be a venue to meet guides that will interpret the landscape adding value to the tourist’s experience of the Joyce Country area.
The father of Dr. Kathleen Lynn, who took part in the 1916 Rising, was a vicar in Clonbur and is buried at the back of All Saint’s.
Lord Ardilaun, perhaps better known as Sir Arthur Guinness of nearby Ashford Castle, erected a headstone in the churchyard in honour of his head gardener and loyal servant; Richard Kelly.